Share ideas that inspire. FALLON PLANNERS (and co-conspirators) are freely invited to post trends, commentary, obscure ephemera and insightful rants regarding the experience of branding.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Measurement: Engagement defined...uh sort of


Ad Age says that the ARF has issued its "working definition of engagement." The hope is that this will turn the term from "an industry buzzword to a industry-wide measurement standard."

So, what is the definition you ask...

“Engagement is turning on a prospect to a brand idea enhanced by the surrounding context.”

First of all, I have to read this several times to make sure that I understand it, only to think (finally) that it's meaningless. How do I measure "turning on" what is turned on? Obviously it's more than midly titillated and less than completely obsessed but there's a lot of land in between the two.

I may be simple but I would have thought engagement ought to include some measure of the focus paid, along with the interaction with a piece of communication.

Am I missing something here?

1 comment:

Seth said...

that looks like the type of bs that got me through school. except i pulled an all-nighter... i didn't start 8 months prior. so turning on will be measured on a spectrum from "i see this brand" to "i want to marry this brand"? with chatting, gossiping and some spooning in the middle - in the consumer-created content world, i notice you (brand) noticing me noticing you noticing me... may i have this dance and put on my king mask and make a video that i send around the internet?